You may have heard of the chakras, or the seven main energy centers of the body. When your chakras are open, energy, life, vitality can run freely through them. If they’re blocked, or closed, not so much. Chakra means "wheel" in Sanskrit. Think of them as circles of free-flowing positive energy.
1. The Root Chakra sits at the base of the spine. It represents our foundation and gives us the feeling of being grounded and secure. When it’s open, we feel safe, confident in our abilities and able to greet new challenges head on. When closed, we feel unsafe, unstable and full of doubt. It’s commonly associated with vitality and the color red.
2. The Sacral Chakra is located in the lower abdomen, about two inches from the navel. This chakra governs creativity and sexual energy. A blocked sacral chakra can make us feel things are out of control. It’s associated with the color orange.
3. The Solar Plexus Chakra is found in the upper abdomen, in the stomach area. Also known as the will center, this chakra governs self-worth, self-confidence and self-esteem. If your solar plexus chakra is closed, you may feel overcome with shame and self-doubt. Open it, and you’ll freely express your true self. Its color is yellow.
4. The Heart Chakra resides in the center of the chest, just above the physical heart. It’s the bridge between the three lower chakras and the three upper chakras. This chakra is your divine love center – it manages your ability to give and receive love, both to yourself and others. If it’s blocked, you may have difficulty opening up and being vulnerable with the people in your life. When it’s open, you have access to an unlimited supply of love for yourself and all those around you. The heart chakra houses your innate wisdom, the knowledge of who you truly are. Green is its associated hue.
5. The Throat Chakra is, of course, located in the throat. It is our voice and allows us to express our truth and personal power. Your throat chakra is particularly powerful when guided by the heart chakra. If the throat chakra is blocked, you’ll have trouble speaking the truth to those closest to you. Open it and you’ll feel free to speak your heart unceasingly. Blue is associated with the throat chakra.
6. The Third Eye Chakra is found in the center of your forehead, between your brows. Known as the center of intuition and seeing, this chakra, when open, is responsible for visions, inspired ideas and intuitive hits. The third eye chakra is commonly depicted as purple.
7. The Crown Chakra sits at the top of your head and governs your ability to be spiritually open. When open, it allows you access to a higher consciousness. The crown chakra is associated with the color white and white light.
This is just a brief introduction to our major energy centers, the chakras. Learning to align them and keep them open comes with knowledge and practice – of yoga, love, meditation, reiki, etc. – there are many paths.